Latest videos - Poverty and HealthBY Roman Hardgrave ON Tue, December 18, 2012
In this week’s videos, we take a look at behavioral habits of those in poverty as well as health and wellness issues in developing countries. While getting up close and personal with some of these topics can be uncomfortable, they are essential in understanding the struggles and economic decisions of people in poverty.
In these videos, we will cover:
- How the poor spend their money
- How stress can create a “tax” on the poor’s decision-making, focus, and cognitive abilities
- Causes of “missing women” in developing countries
- The economics of child labor
- How a test involving a pregnant mare’s urine illustrates the value of randomized controlled trials
- Why private insurance is relatively rare in poorer developing countries
- Can cash transfers help with low birth weight?
- How community participation can impact the success of health care programs
- And finally, the ugly effects of cholera, diarrhea, worms, and HIV/AIDS in developing countries
Get started by checking out the "Earning Money" video.