Learn More About China
Learn More About China
In The Rise and Fall of the Chinese Economy, Tyler Cowen takes a look at factors that contributed to China's rapid growth as well as its current economic slowdown. We hope the resources below help you navigate some of the ideas introduced in the video.
What should Tyler Cowen cover in his next video? We want to hear from you! Let us know what’s on your mind by submitting a topic or voting now.
What Happened in China in 1979?
- Property Rights in China (Marginal Revolution University | Development Economics)
- China's Agricultural Reforms (Marginal Revolution University | Development Economics)
China’s Astonishing Growth
- GDP Data for China vs. US (St. Louis Fed | FRED Economic Data)
- The Rule of 70: How to Calculate the Doubling Time for Population, GDP, and More (Marginal Revolution University | Development Economics)
- Shenzhen's Transformation: Then and Now (Business Insider)
- Internal Chinese Migration (Marginal Revolution University | Development Economics)
- Chinese Currency Manipulation (Marginal Revolution University | International Finance)
Market Discovery Process
- Profit and Loss Calculation (Marginal Revolution University | Great Economists)
- Hayek on the Use of Knowledge in Society (Marginal Revolution University | Great Economists)
China's Ghost Cities
- China's Real Estate Bubble (CBS News | 60 Minutes)
- Two Prisms for Looking at China’s Problems (New York Times | Tyler Cowen)
Asian Financial Crisis of 1997
- Asian Financial Crisis of 1997 (Marginal Revolution University | International Finance)
More on China @ marginalrevolution.com
- A Simple Primer for Understanding China’s Downturn (Tyler Cowen)
- What is China’s Unemployment Rate (Alex Tabarrok)
- Why You Cannot See How Well China is Doing (Tyler Cowen)
- Why China is Hard to Figure Out (Tyler Cowen)
- China’s Third Interest Rate Cut (Tyler Cowen)
Tyler Cowen's Recommended News Sources on China
- China Real Time Report (Wall Street Journal blog)
- Bill Bishop's Sinocism (Email newsletter)
- Alphaville (Financial Times blog)
- Episode 649: China, China, China (NPR's Planet Money podcast)
In the "The Rise and Fall of the Chinese Economy" we include a graphic showing debt for China versus other countries. Please see this note clarifying this data.
Anything we should add? Submit more resources on China to firstname.lastname@example.org.